- Application for 2013 Highpointers Convention at Katahdin, July 18-20
- Issue #101 of “Apex to Zenith” Second Quarter 2013
- Sir John Hunt’s The Ascent Of Everest Signed by Sir Edmund Hillary Silent Auction Deadline 4:00 PM MST August 30, 2013
- Cops on Top 2013 Summits for Heroes Seeks to Climb All 50 States on June 29
- Congratulations to Alan Ritter Silver Beaver Award
- 2013-2014 Highpointers Board of Directors
- Hey, Delta, “Keep Klimbin’” Was Our Catch Phrase for 20 Years Before You Thought Of It
- Minutes of General Membership Meeting – June 9, 2012 at Timberline Lodge, Oregon
- DNAInfo Chicago Profile of Jean Wubbels and the Club
- 48 Completers at April 30, 2013
- 50 Completers at April 30, 2013
- Highpointers Club Bylaws
- Unofficial List of Highpointing Records
- Board of Directors Minutes – June 9, 2012, Mount Hood, Oregon
- Interview with Marathoners Todd Brown and Bill Urbanski on Boston Bombings
- Issue #100 of “Apex to Zenith” First Quarter 2013
- Issue #99 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2012
- 2013 Access Dates for Illinois
- Nominations for 2013-14 Highpointers Board of Directors Due February 22
- David Kelley ARCGIS Interactive Map of Highpoints
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Record $590 million Powerball winner in Florida is former East Millinocket resident — Penobscot — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
You sure are lucky if you live in the shadow of Katahdin. An East Millinocket former resident is the winner of the $590 million powerball.
The French have deployed gendarmes to police the slopes of Mount Blanc where due overcrowding tents are being erected because the Huts are full and the campers are leaving behind waste.
Climbers plan to honor first expedition to reach Denali summit – Fairbanks Daily News-Miner: Dermot Cole
Today is the 100th anniversary of the June 7, 2013 first climb of Mount McKinley by Robert Tatum, Walter Harper, Harry Karstens and Hudson Stuck.
Celebrations include a climb by:
The 2013 climbing party includes: Sam Tatum, great-grandnephew of Robert Tatum; Ken Karstens, great-grandson of Harry Karstens; Ray Schuenemann, great-grandson of Harry Karstens; Sam Alexander, a West Point graduate from Fort Yukon; Dan Hopkins, great-grandnephew of Hudson Stuck; and Dana Wright, a descendant of Walter Harper.
Mount Rainier makes changes after ranger’s deadly fall | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Mount Rainier has re-evaluated its ranger rescue policies following the 2012 death of climbing ranger Nick Hall who fell while attempting a rescue on the Emmons Glacier.
Authorities noted that Hall was not roped as is customary at the time of the fall. Part of the new policies is for rangers to be suspended from a helicopter in some instances to assess the situation.
Another change will be deploying most of the rangers out of Camp Muir rather than also at Camp Shearman.
Here’s a fun proposal submitted by Jemal Swoboda to Outside Magazine on its contest to fund an outside adventure — a proposal to stash $50 near each highpoint and have a scavenger hunt.
Brenton Lengel “North to Maine” About the Appalachian Trail is Opening Off Broadway at the C.O.W. Theatre at 21 Clinton Street, New York.
North to Maine is the first play ever written about the Appalachian Trail and the
Thru-Hikers who walk it. Every year, in late March, nearly 2,000 people gather at
its southern terminus and attempt the feat of walking it, in its entirety, in a
single season. They come from all walks of life, and from all over the world. They
carry all their possessions on their backs, and sleep in tents and shelters along
the way, trusting their lives to providence, to the kindness of strangers, and to
their own hands. They do not walk for money, or fame; rather, they are driven to
walk, some would say compelled, by the journey itself.
Tim Dowd as Adam
Adam La Faci as Creature Man
David Sitler as Kevin
Joie Bauer as Rock-stabber
Michelle Concha as Juice Box
Reports indicate that because of congestion at the Hillary Steps on Mount Everest they may install a ladder there.Everest may have ladder installed to ease congestion on Hillary Step | World news | guardian.co.uk.
The National Outdoor Leadership School is seeking to field the first all black team to summit McKinley. The group raised more than $100,000 for a kickstarter campaign.