- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: West Virginia
50states.com has great information summarizing each state.
Richard Carey at peakbagging.com has put together a very useful list of summit benchmark information as well as the official U.S. Government datasheets on the history of the benchmark.
Post your trip reports here.
The Charleston Gazette reports that Land Resource Companies of Atlanta wants to build a 2,200-home development along the banks of New River Gorge on 4,300 acres including 600 acres within the park boundaries. If built, the development would be visible … Continue reading
Probably nobody is as obsessed with Spruce Knob weather as the Northern Virginia Astronomy Club which gathers during the new moon on weekends during warmer months at the Gatewood Campground at 4,000 feet just below the summit. The Campground has … Continue reading
Spruce Knob is in Monongahela National Forest. Here’s their page
The crash of United Flight 93 into the Alleghenies near Shanksville in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, has highlighted the region’s geography and even given rise to an urban legend (and have impacts on the state highpoints of Pennsylvania, Maryland and West … Continue reading
You can read/post trip reports as comments at the end of this post or americasroof spruce knob trip reports. or summitpost spruce knob – this is an excellent site — feel free to cross post!
Many thanks to spookymike who points there is a controversy over a wind farm near Spruce Knob. The matter is being discussed by a Yahoo group Spruceknob (aimed at astronomers seeking dark skies) There’s a great deal of VERY CURRENT … Continue reading
Charlestown WV Profile of 50-Completer Frank Buffum