- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Washington
Park architects reports that supplies for the four new $200,000 toilets at Muir on Rainier have arrived. Mount Rainier to get new outhouse at 10,000 feet | OregonLive.com.
The Seattle Post Intelligencer has a nice article on what is required to climb Mount Rainier. Climbing Rainier is an enormous test but you can reach the top – seattlepi.com.
Mount Rainier makes changes after ranger’s deadly fall | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Mount Rainier has re-evaluated its ranger rescue policies following the 2012 death of climbing ranger Nick Hall who fell while attempting a rescue on the Emmons Glacier. Authorities noted that Hall was not roped as is customary at the time … Continue reading
3 climbers survived a fall from just below the Rainier summit on the Liberty Cap route. One of the climbers “tomahawked” several hundred feet down the mountain.Missoula ice climbers survive fall from Mount Rainier cliff. Facebook discussion
In a strange temperature inversion it’s almost 20 degrees warmer at Paradise on Mount Rainier than in Seattle. The above screenshot shows the forecast for Paradise on Monday, January 21, 2013 will be 60F.
The National Park Service is considering some pretty dramatic changes to Camp Muir on Rainier (including tearing down the visitor cabin). Among the options is doing nothing. Be sure to read the actual proposals.
The UK Mail has some nifty photos of the lenticular clouds on Mount Rainier.
Mount Rainier National Park is preparing to open bids to run the concessions in the park. Mount Rainier Guest Services currently operates the concessions including Paradise Inn and National Park Inn and has the contract since 1987. Its contract was … Continue reading
Hope is dwindling on finding 4 climbers reported missing for more than a week on Mount Rainier on the Disappointment Cleaver Route. They are Mark Vucich, 37, of San Diego, and Michelle Trojanowski, 30, of Atlanta. The two were planning … Continue reading
Here’s an amazing story of Yong Chun Kim, of Tacoma, Wash., who burned $1 and $5 bills to keep warm after being separated from his group while snowshoeing in Mount Rainier National Park.