- Issue #99 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2012
- 2013 Access Dates for Illinois
- Nominations for 2013-14 Highpointers Board of Directors Due February 22
- Cops on Top 2013 Summits for Heroes Seeks to Climb All 50 States on June 29
- Application for 2013 Highpointers Convention at Katahdin, July 18-20
- David Kelley ARCGIS Interactive Map of Highpoints
- 2013 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Issue #98 of “Apex to Zenith” Second Quarter 2012
- Sen Lindsay Graham Attends Sassafras Mountain Improvement Project on South Carolina Peak
- A.H. Marshall’s List of Highpoint Completions 1919-1936
- A.H. Marshall’s “A Mountain From Some Mole Hills or the Wanderings of a Telegrapher on Vacation”
- About Our Header Photo
- 50 Completer Aron Ralston in Raunchy Tosh.O Skit on Comedy Central
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2014
- New Highpoint Benches Featured in Article on Florida
- Minutes (Email Session) July 17, 2011-June 8, 2012
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention
- Non Club Members in Colorado, Maryland, Nebraska and Oregon Receive Paul Zumwalt Award
- 2012 Convention Organizers, Gene and Lillian Elliot and Glen VanVliet Awarded Frank Ashley Award
- Mark and Wendy Comstock and Miles Luke Awarded 2012 Vin Hoeman Award
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: South Dakota
Preservationists in Rapid City have bought the house of Valentine McGillycuddy who was the first white person to climb Harney Peak.
In nosing around the new book on life around Harney Peak we notice a photo of the tomb of Valentine McGillycuddy on Harney Peak (actually it’s just his ashes). In 1875 he was part of a team surveying the Dakotas. … Continue reading
Journeyofvisions.com is offering books and photographs about the history of Harney Peak and Mount Rushmore. For the record the above photo is the original Sylvan Lake Hotel that burned in 1934.
lifeitsownself.com has this view of the backside of Mount Rushmore. No wonder you can’t hike up there. If you look at the ad on the sign you will see whythe original poster created Presidents with buff dairy airs.
The Rapid City Journal reports that pine mountain pine beetles are devastating Harney Peak. They are attempt to fight the beetles by thinning trees in the area.
Indian tribes are seeking to rename Custer State Park to Chief Crazy Horse State Park.
Keoland reports the first ever clean of the Mount Rushmore faces was completed earlier than expected — despite some shorter days caused by the record 107-108 heat.
Peter Thompson at the University of New Hampshire has an elegant and comprehensive description website about the geology of the highpoints of each state.
KELO reports an outbreak of pneumonia has killed 175 of Custer State Park’s 200 Bighorn Sheep. It is believed to have been contracted from domestic sheep (which don’t get sick). The state may transplant more bighorns to replace them and … Continue reading
One of the great urban legends of highpointing is that Harney Peak is the “highest point between Europe and Colorado.” The question is sometimes refined to “highest point between the Alps and the Rockies” and also refined to the “highest … Continue reading