- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: South Carolina
View Larger Map Sassafras Mountain is not accessible from the north on Route 178 from North Carolina because of a road collapse between the North Carolina line and Laurel Mountain Road (north of the Sassafras turnoff). You can still access … Continue reading
A report indicates that a section of Highway 178 near Sassafras Mountain that “goes to the mountain area” is closed indefinitely because a mudslide washed out a 40 foo section of pipe. The exact location of the closure was not … Continue reading
South Carolina has cleared the summit of Sassafras Mountain to improve the view.
Congressman Charles Taylor to Sell North Carolina Side of Sassafras Mountain to Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy
Charles Taylor, a former North Carolina Congressman, who owns the land on the North Carolina side of Sassafras Mountain has announced the plan to sell the 8,000 acre East Fork Headwaters tract for $33 million to the Carolina Mountain Land … Continue reading
Islandpacket.com reports a 9-year-old was airlifted after falling 100 down a waterfall near Ceasars Head State Park in South Carolina. Wayside Park is part of the Mountain Bridge Wilderness area. There have been numerous injuries there including a 20-year-old Marine … Continue reading
Peter Thompson at the University of New Hampshire has an elegant and comprehensive description website about the geology of the highpoints of each state.
County Highpoints is the defacto website and forum for highpointers. Once you visit the 50 states, you’ve caught the bug and next logical spot are the 3,500+ county highpoints.
50states.com has great information summarizing each state.
Richard Carey at peakbagging.com has put together a very useful list of summit benchmark information as well as the official U.S. Government datasheets on the history of the benchmark.
Post your trip reports here.