- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Oregon
An article on how people survive long term traumatic events such as the miners recently trapped in a Chile mine tells the story of Randy Knapp who at 18 was trapped 13 days in a whiteout over New Years on … Continue reading
Authorities say it could cost $1 million to build a suspension bridge or perhaps $500,000 to reroute the Timberline Trail which washed out in 2006 Eliot Glacier, wiping out the trail less than a quarter-mile west of Cloud Cap trailhead. … Continue reading
Authoirites say they believe Anthony Vietti and his climbing companion, Katie Nolan are the two bodies found on Mount Hood at the 9,700-level of Reid Headwall. The two disappeared in December 2009. The body of a third companion Luke Gullberg … Continue reading
Karen James has written a book “Holding Fast: The Untold Story of the Mount Hood Tragedy” about finding faith following the death of her husband Kelly James on Mount Hood in December 2006.
$4 million in renovations to Timberline Lodge are being paid for by stimulus funds ($18 million in stimulus funds are being used in various projects).
A report published this week in Nature Geoscience by geologists from Oregon State University and the University of California at Davis, in work supported by the National Science Foundation says that Mount Hood has a different volcanic make up than … Continue reading
Lucio Barajas was airlifted off Mount Hood after breaking his leg on July 26.
Timberline Lodge is considering lift-assisted mountain biking that lifts to the top of a system of trails and then ride down during the offseason (July to October) However it is running into considerable opposition over the impact on the structure … Continue reading
Robert Dale Wiebe was killed July 13 in a fall at the “Snow Dome” on Mt. Hood’s Coe Glacier.
Oregonlive has an amusing story of an 1887 fireworks display dubbed “red fire” when fireworks were carried to the summit and then exploded unexpectedly.