- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Oklahoma
Sherman, T. Allenson, Jr., 58, of Tyler, was found dead on September 5, 2011, by hikers about a mile from the Black Mesa, Oklahoma trailhead. Foul play is not suspected and it is believed he had been dead for some … Continue reading
Kenton, Oklahoma is scheduled to lose its post office. The Tulsa World has a great article on mail delivery in the Black Mesa area noting that the closes post office in Boise City would be 38 miles away.
An exhibit on Black Mesa including a 2,000 foot long diorama is opening at the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History in Norman, Oklahoma.
Kenton recorded the lowest temperature in the history of Oklahoma’s Mesonet weather stations of -19 on February 3. The article notes Bob and Jane Apple, who live on a ranch 3 miles east of the community and operate a bed-and-breakfast … Continue reading
The Oklahoman reports that Black Mesa is the coolest part of the state with “only” 7 days a year where the temperature is above 100 (in contrast to the Panhandle average of 21 days). July and August are the two … Continue reading
The Tulsa World has an article about stargazing at Kenton, Oklahoma, which locals say is the darkest place in the world.
‘The Merc’ is back in Kenton NewsOK.com (subscription), OK – Jul 28, 2007 My son wanted to hike the Black Mesa last weekend — and I had a package to pick up at the Hitching Post Ranch — good excuses … Continue reading
The NPS morning report says William Autrey was found the foot of an 80 foot cliff in the Bromide Hill area of Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Oklahoma.
Peter Thompson at the University of New Hampshire has an elegant and comprehensive description website about the geology of the highpoints of each state.
County Highpoints is the defacto website and forum for highpointers. Once you visit the 50 states, you’ve caught the bug and next logical spot are the 3,500+ county highpoints.