- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: North Carolina
Richard Carey at peakbagging.com has put together a very useful list of summit benchmark information as well as the official U.S. Government datasheets on the history of the benchmark.
Post your trip reports here.
The Black Mountain Marathon up Mount Mitchell for 2005 will be February 26. The race begins at dawn in Black Mountain and follows trails to 6,684′ summit of Mount Mitchell then return to the start/finish area! With a starting altitude … Continue reading
Perhaps the best source for North Carolina mountain weather are the forecasts for Beech Mountain (elevation 5,020) at Fred’s General Mercantile on the averyweather.com site. Below are the Mount Mitchell and other forecasts from the NOAA.
You can post your trip reports here as comments or americasroof mount mitchell trip reports or summitpost mount mitchell — excellent source — feel free to cross post Original americasroof Mt. Mitchell site.
The Wautaga Democrat reports that authorities are targeting Memorial Day for the re-opening the NC 80 to Mount Mitchell section of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was closed after the spate of 2004 hurricanes created rock slides. The article also … Continue reading
The Maryville Daily Times reports 62-year-old David Dinwiddie was rescued after spending four days in a sleeping bag. The hiker, stranded in 2 feet of snow at 6,000 feet in subfreezing temperatures, was carried six miles down the trail. Rescuers … Continue reading
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports that some hikers are removing $165 tracking collars from hunters dogs. The hikers think the collars are shock collars aimed at hurting the dogs. North Carolina law say on public lands it is illegal to interfere … Continue reading
Smoky Mountain News on Sherman Stambaugh and 2006 Convention
Climber Falls 60 Feet on Crowders Mountain, NC