- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: North Carolina
WCNC reports a rope snapped resulting in a 70 foot fatal fall on Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports heavy rains over the weekend closed the Mount Mitchell to NC 80 section of the Blue Ridge Parkway which had just reopened after hurricane damage from last year.
AP reports Blue Ridge Parkway between Mount Mitchell and N.C. 80 will be open in time for Memorial Day weekend although a short section will be only one lane.
Peter Thompson at the University of New Hampshire has an elegant and comprehensive description website about the geology of the highpoints of each state.
The Assault on Mount Mitchell Bicycle Race is held traditionally the third week in May. In 2005 it is on May 20. It is sponsored by The Freewheelers of Spartenberg, SC.
AP stories report Matthew Shultz was airlifted after attempting to hike 71 miles of the Appalachian Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park when he became incoherent after rain and snow got the hiking group unprepared.. They had started … Continue reading
Aaron Maizlish has an amazing peaklist.org site discussing prominence (the distance from the highest point to the next highest point). The most spectacular examples of these are the peaks where you have could have a at least 5,000 foot vertical … Continue reading
The Black Mountain News gives an excellent history of the Mount Mitchell Challenge race.
Mountainclimb.com has great collection of pewter benchmarks of highpoints.
County Highpoints is the defacto website and forum for highpointers. Once you visit the 50 states, you’ve caught the bug and next logical spot are the 3,500+ county highpoints.