- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: North Carolina
Fraser Firs are bouncing back from the attacks of the balsam woolly adelgid.
Researchers are studying the spruce-fir moss spider, which is the world’s smallest tarantulas. The spiders which are 1/8 inch long were found on Mount Mitchell in 1923 and first found in the Smokies on Mount LeConte in 1926.
Little Switzerland on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Mount Mitchell is celebrating its centennial. In its colorful history is a fight with the Blue Ridge in which it became the narrowest right of way (200 feet) on the Parkway in … Continue reading
Obama’s visit to the Moutains to Sea Trail near Mount Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway has stirred a several hikers to follow in his footsteps. There are also some suggestions about other trails. The President and First Lady hiked … Continue reading
This year’s bicycle “Assault on Mount Mitchell” ride will be May 24. Details.
The Ashville Citizen has an amusing tale of Karen Russell, a tourist from Westerville, Ohio, on her chance encounter with President Obama which we reported earlier as he was hiking off the Blue Ride Parkway. She thought he was headed … Continue reading
We may have to sign President Obama up to the Highpointers Club. Last week he was reported doing perhaps stealth visit to the DC Highpoint. This week in honor of Earth Day, he went hiking at Mile Post 375.6 on … Continue reading
Traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend? Asheville Citizen-Times, NC – Jul 7, 2007 The Mount Mitchell observation tower and tower trail will be closed due to construction until further notice. There will also be trail detours on the Old … Continue reading
250 have climbed Mount Washington in the Seek The Peak Hike A Thon to benefit the mountain’s observatory.
Backcountry accident reports: Big Bradley Falls and South Sister, Oregon.