- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: New York
North Country Public Radio has a wonderful story featuring Teddy Roosevelt impersonator Joe Wiegand describing the trip Teddy took from Mount Marcy/Lake Tear of the Clouds to North Creek Station and on to Buffalo to become president after the shooting … Continue reading
Three feet of snow fell in the Adirondacks and Mansfield reported the latest foot of snow in history. Spring storm dumps 3 feet of snow in upstate NY – NY Daily News.
There’s a nifty photo of this year’s summit stewards on Mount Marcy published on Facebook
Floods from Hurricane Irene washed out bridge to the Adjirondack Loj. It just reopened. A release notes: the Van Hoevenberg Trail… had previously crossed the Marcy Dam, but the pedestrian bridge over that structure has been washed out. Hikers will … Continue reading
A wired article list high tech gear the hiker wished he had taken including Anti-shock trekking poles, Waterproof gaiters, Nylon zip-off waterproof pants, Walkie talkies, GPS.
The Montreal Gazette has a really nice article detailing life at the Adirondack Loj noting the homespun dinner costs $18.50. Everything, including the bread and the strawberry shortcake, is homemade and that it serves serves micro-brews from Cooperstown Brewing Co. … Continue reading
Benjamin Wetherby, caretaker for lodges in Vermont’s Green Mountain National Forest on Mount Mansfield, plans to hike the 25-mile Adirondack Great Range loop with his Australian cattle dog, Jadis, and friend, Michael DelSignore on Septmeber 11. The Great Range loop … Continue reading
North Country Public Radio interviews Andy Testo on the Summit Steward program in the Adirondacks. MP3 file.
Ed Ketchledge whose work led to the founding of the Adirondack Summit Steward program died at age 85.He taught at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse from 1955 to 1985.
The Adirondack Trails are reported to be dryer than expected (May and early June is a traditional muddy season).