- Members in the News: John Niedermeier
- Registration Form for Highpointers Convention in July 25-26. 2014 at Clingmans Dome
- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Missouri
The ABC television show “Resurrection” which is set in Arcadia, Missouri, by Taum Sauk premieres March 9. There will be a screen March 6 at the Arcadia Academy. The show is not actually being filmed in Arcadia and there’s a … Continue reading
The Southeast Missourian has a list of the 10 best hikes in the state. The Ozark Trail through Taum Sauk was #3.
Reynolds and Iron Counties to receive $7 million in funds after the Taum Sauk Fund Board has dissolved. The board had been created to distribute funds the resulted in assessments following the 2005 Taum Sauk pumped storage collapse.
The Southeast Missourian has an article on Mina Sauk for whom Missouri highest waterfalls (and part of Taum Sauk) is named. As usual it’s a sad tale involving an Indian maiden. In this tale her father Sauk-ton-qua and the tribesmen … Continue reading
Here’s an amusing 1935 Taum Sauk trip report noting that you need to park the goat herders cabin. The report says: To go to Taum Sauk the mountain climber needs to give attention to explicit directions. The Girardeans took Highway … Continue reading
The Taum Sauk Pumped Storage Plant which just opened is North America’s largest roller compacted concrete placement to date. Concrete products notes: A new upper-reservoir portion, crest and 3.5-ft. parapet wall combine for the RCC record, easily besting PCA-noted stalwarts … Continue reading
There have been numerous articles celebrating the 20th anniversary of the KATY bicycle trail from Machens near St. Louis west to Clinton, which is 77 miles southeast of Kansas City. As part of the $18 million Ameren settlement with the … Continue reading
The rebuilt Johnson Shut Ins Campground has opened following the 2005 Taum Sauk Reservoir disaster as part of Ameren’s $180 million settlement with Missouri. The campground which was on the Black River and thus washed away is now higher up … Continue reading
The Taum Sauk pumped electric station is now officially producing electricity. There are several connections in this case with Highpointers Club.
Here’s an interesting article and video on the Taum Sauk reservoir construction. Roller-Compacted Concrete Delivers Rapid, Efficient Dam Rebuild which was posted January 27, 2010.