- Issue #99 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2012
- 2013 Access Dates for Illinois
- Nominations for 2013-14 Highpointers Board of Directors Due February 22
- Cops on Top 2013 Summits for Heroes Seeks to Climb All 50 States on June 29
- Application for 2013 Highpointers Convention at Katahdin, July 18-20
- David Kelley ARCGIS Interactive Map of Highpoints
- 2013 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Issue #98 of “Apex to Zenith” Second Quarter 2012
- Sen Lindsay Graham Attends Sassafras Mountain Improvement Project on South Carolina Peak
- A.H. Marshall’s List of Highpoint Completions 1919-1936
- A.H. Marshall’s “A Mountain From Some Mole Hills or the Wanderings of a Telegrapher on Vacation”
- About Our Header Photo
- 50 Completer Aron Ralston in Raunchy Tosh.O Skit on Comedy Central
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2014
- New Highpoint Benches Featured in Article on Florida
- Minutes (Email Session) July 17, 2011-June 8, 2012
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention
- Non Club Members in Colorado, Maryland, Nebraska and Oregon Receive Paul Zumwalt Award
- 2012 Convention Organizers, Gene and Lillian Elliot and Glen VanVliet Awarded Frank Ashley Award
- Mark and Wendy Comstock and Miles Luke Awarded 2012 Vin Hoeman Award
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Missouri
The Southeast Missourian has a list of the 10 best hikes in the state. The Ozark Trail through Taum Sauk was #3.
Reynolds and Iron Counties to receive $7 million in funds after the Taum Sauk Fund Board has dissolved. The board had been created to distribute funds the resulted in assessments following the 2005 Taum Sauk pumped storage collapse.
The Southeast Missourian has an article on Mina Sauk for whom Missouri highest waterfalls (and part of Taum Sauk) is named. As usual it’s a sad tale involving an Indian maiden. In this tale her father Sauk-ton-qua and the tribesmen … Continue reading
Here’s an amusing 1935 Taum Sauk trip report noting that you need to park the goat herders cabin. The report says: To go to Taum Sauk the mountain climber needs to give attention to explicit directions. The Girardeans took Highway … Continue reading
The Taum Sauk Pumped Storage Plant which just opened is North America’s largest roller compacted concrete placement to date. Concrete products notes: A new upper-reservoir portion, crest and 3.5-ft. parapet wall combine for the RCC record, easily besting PCA-noted stalwarts … Continue reading
There have been numerous articles celebrating the 20th anniversary of the KATY bicycle trail from Machens near St. Louis west to Clinton, which is 77 miles southeast of Kansas City. As part of the $18 million Ameren settlement with the … Continue reading
The rebuilt Johnson Shut Ins Campground has opened following the 2005 Taum Sauk Reservoir disaster as part of Ameren’s $180 million settlement with Missouri. The campground which was on the Black River and thus washed away is now higher up … Continue reading
The Taum Sauk pumped electric station is now officially producing electricity. There are several connections in this case with Highpointers Club.
Here’s an interesting article and video on the Taum Sauk reservoir construction. Roller-Compacted Concrete Delivers Rapid, Efficient Dam Rebuild which was posted January 27, 2010.
KMOX has cool photos of the now water filled Taum Sauk Reservoir which is scheduled to resume electrical operations this summer.