- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Maine
Times Union has this article on the best outdoor books. Included in the list is the 1992 book by twelve-year-old Donn Fendler who in the 1920s got lost on Katahdin for several days. It is considered an important children’s book.
Baxter State Park ranger Andrew Vietze has a book Becoming Teddy Roosevelt: How a Maine Guide Inspired America’s 26th President about how Maine guide William Wingate Sewall helped shape Theodore Roosevelt from a clumsy boy “wearing big spectacles and weighing … Continue reading
The Guardian in an article by nude hiker Hank Wangford reports that Nepal is moving to ban nude summiting Everest after a climber stripped on the summit in 2006.
The governors of Maine and New Brunswick, Canada, have agreed to climb each other’s highpoints in 2008 according to Mainteoday.
Boston.com reports a lightning strike killed 24-year-old Evans Huber of Peak’s Island at the Katahdin Stream campground on August 26 and hurt his brother 18-year-old Emmett Huber.
Perhaps you never thought of it, but the nickname for Katahdin is “Kate.” At least that’s the nickname for a boat according to the Press Herald.
Governor makes it to summit of Katahdin MaineToday.com, ME – Jul 13, 2007 John Baldacci and some members of his climbing party pause Wednesday along Mount Katahdin’s Saddle Trail. From left are Jack Baldacci, the governor’s son, …
Maintoday has an amusing article Harry Vanderweide a rotound character who is frequently evoked in various Maine battles.
The Katahdin Lake acquisition at Baxter State Park which had aggravated locals but thrilled park goers has been signed into law.
Backcountry accident reports on the wires on February 16, 2006.