- Members in the News: John Niedermeier
- Registration Form for Highpointers Convention in July 25-26. 2014 at Clingmans Dome
- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Maine
A Bangor article notes that the sun first rises in Maine on Aroostook County highpoint Mars Hill from March 25 to Sept. 18. This flies in the face of the usual concept that the run rises first at Maine’s further … Continue reading
Baxter Park’s open on May 23 was nearly a week later than its usual May 15 date because of late cold weather.
A hiker separated from his group was frostbitten after spending a night on Katahdin.
Jack Perkins narrates a DVD Katahdin: Mountain of the People which is available at Amazon.
Bangor News has a profile of Jon Tierney whose credits include a book on technical climbing in Baxter Park. He’s a fixture in Maine climbing circle and owns the outdoor store Alpenglow.
Here’s an amusing tale of the pitfalls of commercial GPS — specifically for people looking for the headquarters of the Baxter State Park. The units try to send them to Katahdin summit!
People at a hearing on Baxter Park’s Management Plan say they want fees to be affordable noting that prices are now per person rather than per group as in the past.
Dan Frye, a member of WLBZ-TV fell 10-12 feet off the Knife Edge on Katahdin and was airlifted off the mountain by the Maine Army National Guard Blackhawk medivac helicopter from the 126th National Guard Medivac Unit on July 15
Baxter State Park rangers have found Michael Hays from Stow, Ohio, after he disappeared while climbing the Knife Edge Trail on Katahdin. The search began after he did not sign out at the register. He was discovered after three days … Continue reading
Baxter State Park reports on May 25: Hunt Trail and Abol Trail are open in their entirety. All other Katahdin Trails remain closed at this time. Traveler Trails are open. Expect to find numerous blow downs on all hiking trails … Continue reading