- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Lightning
The Mount Washington Observatory has an interesting shot of a lightning strike this afternoon on the WKPQ tower.Facebook.
A huge lightning storm on Mauna Kea knocked out the University of 41-year old Hawaii’s 2.2 meter telescope — the first on the mountain.
Details are coming out about a group caught in an unexpected lightening storm on Teton that killed one of them. Some members of the group were seeking to climb the “Wyoming Grand Slam” — reaching the summits of Gannett Peak, … Continue reading
This article on Mount Elbert showing ominous clouds coming has this: There’s a 30-30 rule for lightning. Every five seconds between seeing a bolt and hearing thunder indicates about a mile between you and the lightning, Gratz said. So the … Continue reading
Boston.com reports a lightning strike killed 24-year-old Evans Huber of Peak’s Island at the Katahdin Stream campground on August 26 and hurt his brother 18-year-old Emmett Huber.
News reports indicate that 28-year-old Justin Eggleston was struck in the head by lightning about 2:40 p.m., Sunday, Aug 15 while coming off Mount Elbert.
Sootoday reports Victor Rossokhaty was killed by a lightning strike on their tent at Topaz Lake on the La Cloche Silhouette Trail in the Killarney Provincial Park in Canada.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports a Scout leader was killed in a lightning strike at 10,500 feet on Mount Whitney.
KVIPost reports three people died while climbing Ukraine’s highest point Hoverla to celebrate the 15th anniversary of this ex-Soviet republic’s declaration of sovereignty.
11 visitors were injured in a lightning strike at Old Faithful in Yellowstone.