- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Iowa
County Highpoints is the defacto website and forum for highpointers. Once you visit the 50 states, you’ve caught the bug and next logical spot are the 3,500+ county highpoints.
50states.com has great information summarizing each state.
Richard Carey at peakbagging.com has put together a very useful list of summit benchmark information as well as the official U.S. Government datasheets on the history of the benchmark.
Post your trip reports here.
The Los Angeles Times reports that Don Briggs at the University of Northern Iowa has a way for Midwesterners to ice climb by using grain silos. This is accomplished by pouring water from a hose down a concrete (not metal) … Continue reading
The americasroof Hawkeye Point photo gallery includes photos from my visit in 1973, the aerial souvenir shot of the Sterler farm as well as the Sterlers at the 2003 Jakk Longacre scattering on the summit.
This flash summit panorama movie was photographed in August 2003 during the scattering of Jakk Longacre’s ashes on Hawkeye Point. Click on the item to navigate right and left. You can also right click to zoom in.
Hawkeye Point and the owners the Donna and Merrill Sterler have had an almost cosmic impact on me over 30+ years of highpointing. I first visited Hawkeye in Spring of 1973 — shortly after it appeared on the Rand McNally … Continue reading
Merrill Sterler, owner of the Iowa highpoint and one of the kindest men on the planet, has passed. Below is his obituary from basinelectic.com. You can read an interview Roger Rowlett conducted with the Sterlers in August 2003. You can … Continue reading