- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Hawaii
Atmospheric flare from a minuteman III ICBM missile from Kanoa on Vimeo. Here’s an amazing (and scarey) video captured on June 22 from the Subaru Telescope on Mauna Kea of the burst from a Minuteman missile.
A huge lightning storm on Mauna Kea knocked out the University of 41-year old Hawaii’s 2.2 meter telescope — the first on the mountain.
The the twin domes of the Keck telescopes and the Japanese Subaru telescope on Mauna Kea are now using lasers for the observations and that has been making for some interesting photos of the summit at night.
Mauna Kea had a rare 6 inch snow on Sunday, June 4.
Police have suspended the search for Brian Murphy of Plymouth, Mich., who was 67 when he hiked into a blizzard on Mauna Kea in December 2007.
Marksmen from helicopters are shooting sheep on Mauna Kea to protect the endangered palila Bird. The sheep eat mamane trees which is the source of seeds for the birds.
A report says palila birds, a members of the honeycreeper family that live on Mauna Kea , have decreased from 4,400 in 2003 to about 1,200 in 2010.
The Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea has found a planet that has liquid water.
Nature Conservancy and Parker Ranch report they have found a Clermontia peleana singuliflora plant on a ohia tree on Mauna Kea. The plant had thought to be extinct was last seen on the Big Island in 1909.