- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Hawaii
A huge lightning storm on Mauna Kea knocked out the University of 41-year old Hawaii’s 2.2 meter telescope — the first on the mountain.
The the twin domes of the Keck telescopes and the Japanese Subaru telescope on Mauna Kea are now using lasers for the observations and that has been making for some interesting photos of the summit at night.
Mauna Kea had a rare 6 inch snow on Sunday, June 4.
Police have suspended the search for Brian Murphy of Plymouth, Mich., who was 67 when he hiked into a blizzard on Mauna Kea in December 2007.
Marksmen from helicopters are shooting sheep on Mauna Kea to protect the endangered palila Bird. The sheep eat mamane trees which is the source of seeds for the birds.
A report says palila birds, a members of the honeycreeper family that live on Mauna Kea , have decreased from 4,400 in 2003 to about 1,200 in 2010.
The Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea has found a planet that has liquid water.
Nature Conservancy and Parker Ranch report they have found a Clermontia peleana singuliflora plant on a ohia tree on Mauna Kea. The plant had thought to be extinct was last seen on the Big Island in 1909.
An article on the history of volcanology notes that Titus Coan, a Christian missionary in Hilo between 1835 and his death in 1882, who theorized how lava could travel so far from its vent. Coan was one of the first … Continue reading
Authorities report that a brush fire that has caused rerouting of traffic on Saddle Road on Mauna is 60 percent contained. Traffic is being detoured through an old section of Saddle Road and Mauna Kea State Recreation Area remains closed … Continue reading