- Issue #99 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2012
- 2013 Access Dates for Illinois
- Nominations for 2013-14 Highpointers Board of Directors Due February 22
- Cops on Top 2013 Summits for Heroes Seeks to Climb All 50 States on June 29
- Application for 2013 Highpointers Convention at Katahdin, July 18-20
- David Kelley ARCGIS Interactive Map of Highpoints
- 2013 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Issue #98 of “Apex to Zenith” Second Quarter 2012
- Sen Lindsay Graham Attends Sassafras Mountain Improvement Project on South Carolina Peak
- A.H. Marshall’s List of Highpoint Completions 1919-1936
- A.H. Marshall’s “A Mountain From Some Mole Hills or the Wanderings of a Telegrapher on Vacation”
- About Our Header Photo
- 50 Completer Aron Ralston in Raunchy Tosh.O Skit on Comedy Central
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2014
- New Highpoint Benches Featured in Article on Florida
- Minutes (Email Session) July 17, 2011-June 8, 2012
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention
- Non Club Members in Colorado, Maryland, Nebraska and Oregon Receive Paul Zumwalt Award
- 2012 Convention Organizers, Gene and Lillian Elliot and Glen VanVliet Awarded Frank Ashley Award
- Mark and Wendy Comstock and Miles Luke Awarded 2012 Vin Hoeman Award
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Hawaii
Mauna Kea had a rare 6 inch snow on Sunday, June 4.
Police have suspended the search for Brian Murphy of Plymouth, Mich., who was 67 when he hiked into a blizzard on Mauna Kea in December 2007.
Marksmen from helicopters are shooting sheep on Mauna Kea to protect the endangered palila Bird. The sheep eat mamane trees which is the source of seeds for the birds.
A report says palila birds, a members of the honeycreeper family that live on Mauna Kea , have decreased from 4,400 in 2003 to about 1,200 in 2010.
The Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea has found a planet that has liquid water.
Nature Conservancy and Parker Ranch report they have found a Clermontia peleana singuliflora plant on a ohia tree on Mauna Kea. The plant had thought to be extinct was last seen on the Big Island in 1909.
An article on the history of volcanology notes that Titus Coan, a Christian missionary in Hilo between 1835 and his death in 1882, who theorized how lava could travel so far from its vent. Coan was one of the first … Continue reading
Authorities report that a brush fire that has caused rerouting of traffic on Saddle Road on Mauna is 60 percent contained. Traffic is being detoured through an old section of Saddle Road and Mauna Kea State Recreation Area remains closed … Continue reading
A study published in Earth and Planetary Science Letters by scientists from Oregon State University, the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, University of British Columbia and U.S. Geological Survey and supported by the National Science Foundation investigates the ancient glaciers on … Continue reading
The Anchorage Daily News has an amusing tale of determining the U.S. largest island — Kodiak Island or the Island Of Hawaii. The debate was spurred by Sarah Palin’s calling Kodiak the biggest. The News concluded that Hawaii is the … Continue reading