- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Fatal accidents
Finnish skiier Ilkka Uusitalo was killed May 23, 2012 on Mount McKinley as he attempted to ski down a chute at 17,800 feet. His body was flown off the mountain. He is the second fatality on McKinley during this climbing … Continue reading
German climber Steffen Machulka fell to his death while attempting to retrieve a backpack on that had started to slide on May 18, 2012. He was not roped to fellow climbers in an area on the West Buttress at 16,200 … Continue reading
Investigation Into How McKinley Climber Perished While Following Guide’s Orders and Another Climber Ignoring the Orders Survived
The Alaska Dispatch has an amazing investigation into the May 2011 death of Beat Neiderer on Mount McKinley. Neiderer had stayed at Denali Pass to award rescue on his guide’s instructions and wound up freezing to death while another injured … Continue reading
The body of 32-year-old Jared Townsley was found on February 7 at about 9,200-feet on Mount Hood. He had been reported missing on February 6 after not returning.
Don Scott, 63, from Boise died in a fall from Gannett Peak. He fell while standing on top of Gannett Peak. Strong winds have prevented helicopters from recovering his body.
Here’s a pretty gruesome photos of some of the 200 bodies still on Everest. We were directed to this site after seeing an article on Rodney Hogg finding the body of his friend Peter Kinloch on Everest (at the request … Continue reading
Authorities say 41-year-old Juergen Kanzian was killed in late June on McKinely. His body was found at 15,300 feet in a steep couloir known as the “Orient Express” named for the large number of Asians who have fallen down it. … Continue reading
52-year-old Brian Young who died on McKinley following a 20-hour summit day on June 10, 2011 is the 8th fatality on McKinley this year. He died in his sleep.
34-year-old lead guide Suzanne Allen of Seattle and a client, 45-year-old Peter Bullard of Shanghai were killed in a fall on Mount McKinley at the 18,000 foot level on May 25, 2011. Two other climbers who were roped to the … Continue reading
Italian climber Luciano Colombo of Mandello died in a 1,000 foot fall on the Denali Pass to 17,200 foot camp portion of Mount McKinley.