- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
- 50 and 48 Completers in 2013-2014
- 2013 Board News: Change in Longacre Memorial Ownership
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention July 24-26
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: California
All five hikers who were missing for nearly 5 days on Mount Whitney following a snowstorm on October 18 have been accounted for. Phillip Abraham, Stevan Filipsand Dale Clymens, all of Omaha were found in a cave. They had initially … Continue reading
Signon San Diego reports on “Crazy Jack” Northam who has climbed Mount Whitney 86 times including 4 “yo yo” where he climbed it up and back twice in a day. His goal is to join a club of people who … Continue reading
A new documentary focuses on Marshall Ulrich running 3,063 miles, from San Francisco to New York, in 52.5 days. (Frank Giannino holds the coast-to-coast speed record, running 3,103.5 miles in just over 46 days in 1980). Among Ulrich’s credits is … Continue reading
The New York Times has an extensive article on Mount Whitney and places to visit in the Owens Valley.
Climb Against the Odds is climbing Shasta this year to raise breast cancer awareness. Breast Cancer Fund’s past expeditions: Mt. Aconcagua, Argentina in 1995; Alaska’s Mt. McKinley in 1998; Mt Fuji, Japan in 2000; Mt. Shasta, California in 2003, 2004, … Continue reading
The Whitney Portal has a discussion about Mount Whitney actually being 14,508 feet. Thanks to Alan Ritter for posting this on our forum.
The New York Times has an article on Wag bags replacing the summit toilet on Mount Whitney (and in other wilderness areas).
Yubanet reports that the California Court of Appeals on August 27, 2007, issued an order prohibiting development of 27 luxury home on Whitney Portal Road.
Runner braves desert heat in 135-mile race Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription), MN – 13 hours ago Daybreak brought renewed energy for Benke, and as he approached Lone Pine, a town at the base of Mount Whitney, a surge of adrenaline … Continue reading