- Members in the News: John Niedermeier
- Registration Form for Highpointers Convention in July 25-26. 2014 at Clingmans Dome
- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: California
Here’s a pretty cool star field effect from Death Valley. Post by Highpointers.
Death Vally National Park has suspended the permit for the Badwater Ultramarathon. They are reviewing all events and races in the park and will make an announcement on the new policy in March. In the meantime Ultramathon has announced a … Continue reading
Outside Magazine has a great article on “rebel visits” to Whitney during the government shutdown. You can’t camp at the Portal but the Portal Store has wag bags provided by the government.
While there are lots of good Whitney trip reports out there, this one in the Fresno Bee seems particularly good in capturing the 24 hour a day nature of the Whitney Trail. BTW, that’s a pretty nifty photo of lights … Continue reading
Yukio Kato was killed in a 200 foot fall on the trail (at 13,500 feet) on the trail back from the Whitney summit to the trailhead about 1:30 p.m., Sunday, September 1. Officials were unable to recover his body until … Continue reading
First Complete Crossing of California’s High Sierra from Dave Turner on Vimeo. Dave Turner in July 2013 became the first person to cross High Sierra in a paraglider or hang glider He went from Owens Valley over Sequoia National Park’s … Continue reading
Mail Online has amazing photos from this year’s ultra marathon from Death Valley to Mount Whitney. Badwater Ultramarathon 2013: Gruelling photos runners competing in relentless Death Valley heat | Mail Online.
The Badwater 135 race from Badwater to the Whitney Portal will be July 15.AdventureCORPS Presents the Badwater Official Website.
Cameron Tribolet, a man with no legs, is planning to climb Mount Whitney. He and his Fort Wayne Indiana wife Susan plan to spend their 25th wedding anniversary on the mountain. In March 2001 Timothy A. Cleveland, a paraplegic from … Continue reading
Death Valley temps are approaching 130 this weekend with an official forecast of 129. The hottest record of 134 on July 10, 1913 is also the hottest record in the world. Parts of Western US may see temperatures near 130 … Continue reading