- Issue #103 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2013
- Highpointers Foundation Booth at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market Tradeshow in Salt Lake City January 22-25
- NPR’s Living on Earth 10 Minute Segment on Highpointing
- New at the Merc: Replicas of All 50 state highpoint benchmarks and tote bags
- Highpointers Foundation Projects: Britton Hill, Florida Kiosk
- Kimball, Nebraska, High Point/High Plains Welcome Center Opens
- Highpointers Foundation Auction: “Everest – The West Ridge by Thomas Hornbein” Signed by Tom Hornbein and Jon Krakauer
- Issue #102 of “Apex to Zenith” Third Quarter 2013
- 2014 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Hoosier Hill Bench Vandalized
- Hawkeye Point: Request to Visit in Daylight and Note About New Campground Fees
- New Highpointers Foundation Henry’s Fork Sign at Kings Peak
- Club’s Summit Register Initiative
- Merc Reopens
- Lake County News-Sun Article on 50 Completer Tim Townsend
- Huffington Post Interview with Maine 2013 Host Mick Dunn
- Highpointers Foundation: Goal to have projects on 25 of 50 states by end of 2013
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2019
- Iowa Selected for 2015 Convention
- Joseph “Mitch” Michaud (1928-2013)
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal Fatal accidents General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Tag Archives: Alaska
Vern Tejas has summited McKinley for the 50th time — including 4 times in 1988 alone. Vern who is 58 says he would like to have climbed it 65 times when he’s 65. Denali park officials say determining the record … Continue reading
Authorities say 41-year-old Juergen Kanzian was killed in late June on McKinely. His body was found at 15,300 feet in a steep couloir known as the “Orient Express” named for the large number of Asians who have fallen down it. … Continue reading
A Eurocopter AS350 B3 was involved in one of the highest-altitude rescues on record in May when it rescued an injured climber off Alaska’s Mount McKinley just below the summit at 19,833 feet.
Brian Young, 52, died after summiting McKinley after suddenly stopping breathing while sleeping. He is the fifth climber to die this year. This is the worst year since 1992 when 11 died during the climbing season.
52-year-old Brian Young who died on McKinley following a 20-hour summit day on June 10, 2011 is the 8th fatality on McKinley this year. He died in his sleep.
Three helicopter rescues involved 37-year-old Zeljko Dulic of Serbia at 19,300 airlifted off the mountain in the “screamer suit” (line attached to helicopter), 22-year-old Sho Tamagawa of Japan (rescued same time as Dulc) and 20-year-old Masaaki Kobayasi of Japan who … Continue reading
34-year-old lead guide Suzanne Allen of Seattle and a client, 45-year-old Peter Bullard of Shanghai were killed in a fall on Mount McKinley at the 18,000 foot level on May 25, 2011. Two other climbers who were roped to the … Continue reading
Italian climber Luciano Colombo of Mandello died in a 1,000 foot fall on the Denali Pass to 17,200 foot camp portion of Mount McKinley.
A man who broke his leg while descending Mount McKinley was rescued in what is tied to be the highest rescue on Mount McKinley.
The National Park Service reports guided trips up Mount McKinley can cost an average of $10,000 for everything.