- Issue #99 of “Apex to Zenith” Fourth Quarter 2012
- 2013 Access Dates for Illinois
- Nominations for 2013-14 Highpointers Board of Directors Due February 22
- Cops on Top 2013 Summits for Heroes Seeks to Climb All 50 States on June 29
- Application for 2013 Highpointers Convention at Katahdin, July 18-20
- David Kelley ARCGIS Interactive Map of Highpoints
- 2013 Highpointers Calendar at HP Merc
- Issue #98 of “Apex to Zenith” Second Quarter 2012
- Sen Lindsay Graham Attends Sassafras Mountain Improvement Project on South Carolina Peak
- A.H. Marshall’s List of Highpoint Completions 1919-1936
- A.H. Marshall’s “A Mountain From Some Mole Hills or the Wanderings of a Telegrapher on Vacation”
- About Our Header Photo
- 50 Completer Aron Ralston in Raunchy Tosh.O Skit on Comedy Central
- Apex Challenge 2 Seeks to Place Highpointers on Every Summit on June 29, 2014
- New Highpoint Benches Featured in Article on Florida
- Minutes (Email Session) July 17, 2011-June 8, 2012
- Tennessee to Host 2014 Highpointers Convention
- Non Club Members in Colorado, Maryland, Nebraska and Oregon Receive Paul Zumwalt Award
- 2012 Convention Organizers, Gene and Lillian Elliot and Glen VanVliet Awarded Frank Ashley Award
- Mark and Wendy Comstock and Miles Luke Awarded 2012 Vin Hoeman Award
Tags***Top Stories*** 7 Summits Accidents Adventures Alaska Animals Arizona Arkansas Asia Avalanches Books British Isles California Canada Colorado Dogs Europe Everest Fatal General Hawaii Helicopter Rescues Highpoint (States) News Highpoint News (world) Idaho Kentucky Maine Massachusetts Missouri Montana Multimedia New Hampshire New York North Carolina Offbeat Oregon Records States Technology Tennessee Trip Reports Utah Vermont Washington Wyoming
Category Archives: General
The National Park Service is considering some pretty dramatic changes to Camp Muir on Rainier (including tearing down the visitor cabin). Among the options is doing nothing. Be sure to read the actual proposals.
There’s a nifty photo of this year’s summit stewards on Mount Marcy published on Facebook
The Mount Washington Observatory has a dramatic time lapse video of star trails on the summit.
A new barn quilt has been added to Hawkeye Point.
Alaska Senator has introduced legislation to rename Mount McKinley to Mount Denail and to rename the Talkeetna Ranger Station for Walter Harper who is the first credited climber of the mountain. Legislation to rename the mountain has been introduced for … Continue reading
Four members of the Miyagi Workers Alpine Federation were presumed killed in an avalanche on Thursday, June 14, 2012. The climbers are 64-year-old Yoshiaki Kato, 50-year-old Masako Suda, 56-year-old Michiko Suzuki, and 63-year-old Tamao Suzuki.
The body of Norman Priebatsch who died in an April 1 fall into a crevasse on Huntington Ravine on Mount Washington has was recovered on May 21, 2012. Recovery had been delayed because of instability of the snow in the … Continue reading
Finnish skiier Ilkka Uusitalo was killed May 23, 2012 on Mount McKinley as he attempted to ski down a chute at 17,800 feet. His body was flown off the mountain. He is the second fatality on McKinley during this climbing … Continue reading
German climber Steffen Machulka fell to his death while attempting to retrieve a backpack on that had started to slide on May 18, 2012. He was not roped to fellow climbers in an area on the West Buttress at 16,200 … Continue reading
Investigation Into How McKinley Climber Perished While Following Guide’s Orders and Another Climber Ignoring the Orders Survived
The Alaska Dispatch has an amazing investigation into the May 2011 death of Beat Neiderer on Mount McKinley. Neiderer had stayed at Denali Pass to award rescue on his guide’s instructions and wound up freezing to death while another injured … Continue reading